Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Exergames

Last week I had a chance to observe and participate in exergames for my exercise psychology class. We went to a local elementary school that hosts exergames for an after school program. At first glance, I was not impressed with the games as it did not appear as if the kids were getting much exercise from them. However, once I played some of the games with the kids, I found they were actually quite a workout! The class room had several different types of games, including Dance Dance Revolution, Nintendo Wii, and stationary bikes with TV screens simulating motorcycle races. The kids were getting great workouts from the games and were having FUN playing them. Part of me felt like the kids should be outside playing traditional sports and getting fresh air, however I also realized that video games and technology are the games of the future. Through exergames, kids can experience all the same aspects of traditional games, such as autonomy (they get to choose the games they play), competence (they gain performance self-efficacy by progressing through levels), and relatedness (they can play on teams and against other peers, enhancing their social support.) I predict exergames will become more prevalent in schools as they are an innovative way to get kids more physically active.

No comments: